Marilyn believes that doing good can and should also mean doing well. The basis for this philosophy—that you don’t have to sacrifice fiscal health for social progress—is the bedrock of her decades-long career in public service.
In addition to serving having been elected four times as a Franklin County Commissioner, she’s served as Board Chair at the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC), Vice Chair for the Courts & Corrections subcommittee on Justice and Public Safety Committee at the National Association of Counties (NACo), and on the boards of One Columbus and Future Ready’s Early Learning Advisory Council.
Marilyn’s Major Accomplishments:
- Lead the planning, design, and construction of Franklin County’s Public Safety Center, a state-of-the-art facility aimed at transforming how we house, educate, and rehabilitate inmates.
- Facilitated conversations in local jails and prisons, developing a program to reduce recidivism rates for women with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders—now a nationally recognized model for successful rehabilitation programs. Creating the Franklin County Reentry Coalition, bringing partner organizations into the fold and increasing the success rates of ex-offenders transitioning from correctional institutions back into the community
- Was founding Board member of Columbus 2020. Integrally involved in multiple high stakes civic initiatives including the Nationwide Arena bailout and the rescue of the Columbus Crew.
- Successfully navigated the county administration through the great recession of 2008 with no layoffs or disruptions to services while maintaining a AAA Bond rating for the County.
- Oversaw the construction of Huntington Park, the Common Pleas Courthouse, and the Franklin County Dog Shelter, and the renovation of the Judicial Services Building, which led to national recognition for job creation, quality contracting and construction standards, and award-winning design, construction, sustainability, accessibility, and fiscal stewardship..
Having worked closely with government officials at the city, county, and state levels, Marilyn understands the value of alliance building, strategic thinking, and active listening. With her extensive network, considered advice, and enthusiastic mentorship at the ready, any business, board, non-profit, or agency can find its footing and thrive.